From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage feature suggestion
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:54:09
1 Pete Gavin wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 08:03:00PM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 > > Pete Gavin wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > Daniel,
7 > > >
8 > > > I normally name my patches ${PF}-gentoo.diff, and I was thinking it
9 > > > would be cool for ebuild to automatically check for a patch with this
10 > > > name in the files directory and apply it in the src_unpack phase if it
11 > > > exists. What do you think?
12 > > >
13 > > > Pete
14 > >
15 > > Hi Pete,
16 > >
17 > > I think this is basicly a good idea. I'm not sure if using ${PF} is
18 > > neccesary because one must allways copy
19 > > the patch even if the change has nothing to do with it.
20 > > Do you mean to apply the patch only if the default src_unpack function
21 > > is used?
24 > Well, I think its better to always use the version and revision on the
25 > patch name, because (I think I've said this before) if you change the
26 > patch, it would retroactively apply to previous versions/revisions,
27 > thus defeating the purpose of even having package versioning.
28 >
29 >From pragmatic point of view (reduce typing and cvs size), the question
30 is what happens
31 more often (changes in the patch or in the ebuild scripts). Based on my
32 experiences modifications
33 to the scripts happen more often.
34 But what you said about versioning is true and using ${PF} makes the
35 system more transparent, so I agree.
36
37 achim~
40 > And to answer your question, yes, the patch should only be applied in
41 > the default src_unpack, the same way ${A} is only unpacked in the
42 > default.
43 >
44 > Pete
47 > gentoo-dev mailing list