From: Damien Levac <damien.levac@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Global USE=gui
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 13:06:48
1 On 2016-06-02 05:27 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 06/02/2016 12:57 PM, Damien Levac wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 2016-06-02 03:42 PM, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
5 >>> On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 09:31:11AM -0400, Damien Levac wrote
6 >>>> IMHO, you see this in reverse. the 'gui' useflag would be useful for
7 >>>> users who don't want to care about X/wayland/mir and do not want to care
8 >>>> about gtk/qt, they just want windows to be drawn for the applications
9 >>>> they install -- without, if possible, pulling useless dependencies.
10 >>> How, exactly, will the app draw windows without linking against one of
11 >>> X/wayland/mir/qt4/qt5/gtk2/gtk3/fltk or whatever else comes down the
12 >>> pike?
13 >> It will be linked to one of those, but the users don't want to care so
14 >> reasonable default would apply.
15 >>
16 >> For example, if I have setup my profile to be 'plasma', then having
17 >> 'gui' in my global use flags would mean "build with qt5 support to
18 >> provide my gui whenever possible, if not possible, fallback to whatever
19 >> is available at the discretion of the package maintainer".
20 >>
21 >> 2 nice properties I foresee this feature will have:
22 >>
23 >> * If you do not like it, don't use it. It shouldn't affect any user
24 >> unless they explicitly use the flag.
25 >> * Negating the flag would mean to not build any GUI (i.e. headless
26 >> server) which is cleaner than: '-qt3support -qt4 -qt5 -gtk -gtk3 -X
27 >> -waylang...'
28 >>
29 >> I do not think the question is whether the flag would be useful: it
30 >> will. The question is: can it be implemented efficiently...
33 > To play devil's advocate, can we get a citation on "users don't want to
34 > care"? Which users? Does Gentoo have a lot of users who don't care, or
35 > does it attract a more passionate audience that enjoys the control that
36 > comes with being source-based? I'm inclined to believe the latter, but
37 > I'm ready to be wrong.
38 >
39 Personal experience: I use to care a lot and tweak my system a lot...
40 But I am not an eager undergraduate anymore, my interests have shift. I
41 still use Gentoo as I know the system very well and like it. But I am in
42 a point in my life where I want to focus on my work and not on whether
43 or not I am making a 'gtk-only' or 'qt-only' system...