From: Olivier Crete <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Network configuration and bash
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:35:25
1 On Tue, 2007-06-02 at 21:11 +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:03:50 -0500
3 > Olivier Crete <tester@g.o> wrote:
4 > > What so wrong with bash?
5 >
6 > Unsuited to an init system that wants to work everywhere, like embedded
7 > systems.
8 >
9 > Also, being tied to one shell causes problems when that shell breaks.
10 > Witness baselayout problems regarding bash-3.0, 3.1 and 3.2
11 >
12 > Lastly, in my first email I said
13 > >Now, this email isn't about the merits of bash, nor the fact that it's
14 > >in base system profile so we can use it anyway, blah blah blah.
15 > >embedded has a vested interest in not using bash and I have a personal
16 > >interest as Gentoo/FreeBSD on Sparc64 takes a very long time to boot.
17 >
18 > I'm assuming you did't read that bit :)
19
20 Actually I did, but I really dont see what kind of embedded system would
21 be complex enough to require the Gentoo init system, yet not enough to
22 use bash.
23
24 And I don't see why g/fbsd sparc64 is problematic? Or is it just that
25 you have a 1995 vintage system and you want to run Gentoo on it?
28 Olivier CrĂȘte
29 tester@g.o
30 Gentoo Developer
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list