From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Network configuration and bash
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:14:09
1 On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:03:50 -0500
2 Olivier Crete <tester@g.o> wrote:
3 > What so wrong with bash?
4
5 Unsuited to an init system that wants to work everywhere, like embedded
6 systems.
7
8 Also, being tied to one shell causes problems when that shell breaks.
9 Witness baselayout problems regarding bash-3.0, 3.1 and 3.2
10
11 Lastly, in my first email I said
12 >Now, this email isn't about the merits of bash, nor the fact that it's
13 >in base system profile so we can use it anyway, blah blah blah.
14 >embedded has a vested interest in not using bash and I have a personal
15 >interest as Gentoo/FreeBSD on Sparc64 takes a very long time to boot.
16
17 I'm assuming you did't read that bit :)
18
19 Thanks
20
21 Roy