From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] **HEADS UP** Apache2 + MySQL4 moving to stable status
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:10:39
1 On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 20:32, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
2 > Andrew Cowie wrote:
3 > > I nosed around my system and discovered I don't have an /etc/portage. I
4 > > do have a /usr/portage of course, with a profiles/packages.mask in it.
5 >
6 > You have to create it yourself if you feel the need for it.
7
8 Fair enough.
9
10 What is the expected behaviour of /etc/portage/profiles? Is the content
11 of, say, /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask expected to be merged with
12 /etc/portage/profiles/package.mask by emerge when calculating
13 dependencies?
14
15 [My experiments showed that this is not the behaviour that occurs - the
16 one I created in /etc/portage/profiles was ignored]
17
18 I made the updates to package.mask in /usr/portage/profiles to "pin"
19 (good word for it, even if it is Debian in origin) MySql at < 4 and
20 Apache at < 2, but my concern is that the file in /usr/portage/profiles
21 gets updated whenever an emerge rsync is done, and so my changes were,
22 (as I expected) lost.
23
24 I feel like I'm missing something here.
25
26 AfC
30 Andrew Frederick Cowie
31 Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd
32
33 Australia +61 2 9977 6866 North America +1 646 270 5376
34
35 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list