From: Sylvain OBEGI <katios@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Problem adding user + Internationalization
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:45:32
1 le lun 29-10-2001 at 17:57 Damon M. Conway a écrit :
2 > Sylvain OBEGI wrote:
3 > >Hello
4 > >I tried to add an user, but ran into troubles. When doing a adduser
5 > >command, i got a message about problem with homedir or something like
6 > >that. Of course no home dir is created. And, I cannot log in with the
7 > >new user.
8 > >Any idea?
9 >
10 > You need to give useradd the -m option to create the home dir. You need to
11 > run the passwd command on that user to set the pass so you can login.
12 >
13 > >How to change add/change language in apps like kde?
14 >
15 > No idea.
16 >
17 > However, these types of questions are best suited for gentoo-user. Please
18 > use that list for general how-to questions. There are lots of developers
19 > who watch that list. Thanks.
20 >
21 > http://cvs.gentoo.org/mailman/listinfo/gentoo-user
22 >
23 > kabau
24
25 Let me explain myself. I was used to type 'useradd nick' to add a user
26 with dir & co. So i tought (wrong it seems, and the error message didn't
27 help me), that there was a bug. And i never thought a user list was the
28 right place for bug report (btw, if gentoo-user is a good place for bug
29 report, please tell me, thanks in advance), so i posted my problem here.
30 Concerning the other question, you are right, this is not the good
31 place, i thought of this thing just before sending the message, and
32 didn't even think that there was a list more suited for this (but i was
33 already a subscriber of gentoo-user.. not a excellent memory ;) (the
34 next time i'll browse better in the portage tree, the answer was there..
35 humm).
36 Btw, it's odd to see that all my questions that i thought were really
37 dev-related (install/system questions, plans, hotplug) were not
38 answered, unlike the not-so-dev-related ones. Don't misunderstand me, i
39 really appreciate your answers (thanks all!), i just find this strange.
40
41 Thanks again everyone, and sorry for my 'bad' questions, I'll try to
42 answer my future ones by myself (or elsewhere).
46 Sylvain OBEGI
47 Email : katios@×××××××.net
48 ICQ : 661913