From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuilds for kde3 beta etc.
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 07:45:00
1 lör 2001-12-22 klockan 19.12 skrev Dan Armak:
2 > On Saturday 22 December 2001 20:29, you wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I run cvs with no problems at all. If the ebuild is called beta? Users
6 > > should know that it can brake things. I would say go for it :)...
7 > I'd have said the same, but in this case it's Hallski's decision, as he is
8 > head of the Desktop team.
9
10 If everyone thinks we should put these kind of stuff in portage I'll
11 bend for the majority.
12
13 My reasoning was that _if_ we have these kind of things in Portage it
14 might break stuff other than that particular package. And users will
15 install it no matter how many alpha/beta etc. tags you put on the
16 package name, be sure.
17
18 That means that users might come and ask, my foobar doesn't work, and we
19 developers can spend several hours trying to figure out what's wrong
20 until it's clear that he installed foo-beta which happends to break this
21 package.
22
23 That is why I'm against putting untested early-beta software in the
24 packagesystem. Because no matter how much unsupported they are, we will
25 always end up support it.
26
27 But as I said, if everyone else feels this is ok, just put it in.
28
29 Regards,
30 Mikael Hallendal
34 Mikael Hallendal
35 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
36 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden