From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: Gentoo Seeds
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:43:09
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On 9/20/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Uhh... "seeds"?
4 >
5 > Yes, seeds. Seems to describe what we're working towards as well as
6 > any other name.
7 >
8 >> "bring the work to the main tree"?
9 >>
10 >> As in... duplicate functionality already provided by catalyst for quite
11 >> some time?
12 >
13 > No. As in, bring the packages and profiles from the overlay into the
14 > main tree, once we're happy with them.
15 >
16 >> Why hasn't anybody even *tried* to contact Release Engineering on
17 >> something like this, considering we already have all of the tools
18 >> necessary to complete this, as well as the expertise?
19 >
20 > We have, and folks there have been very helpful.
21 >
22 > Best regards,
23 > Stu
24
25 I think Chris's primary concern is one of "Tell us whats up before it
26 happens." Similarly to Sunrise; don't just spring a project, propose it
27 and ask for feedback GLEP style. You took a long long time to get
28 Overlays up and running and it's a great project; so I know you know how
29 to do things well ;)
30
31 Maybe I will propose an amendment to the GLEP requiring this; I'd really
32 like to see a discussion about a project here first (even if you
33 completely ignore the suggestions and criticisms) then to just have a
34 magical new project.
35
36 -Alec
37 --