From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 19:15:55
1 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > You can get as much vertical integration with Gentoo as with any other
3 > distro. The problem (and I think this is the point Greg is trying to
4 > make) is that it will be harder (not impossible, just harder) if most
5 > of Gentoo developers really believe that every single possible
6 > combination of hardware, software, init systems, and even OS kernels
7 > should be supported.
8
9 And even if it isn't harder, the main point for *many* competent
10 users is that they have to do it themselves.
11
12 Many extremely skilled peers of mine simply do not want to.
13
14 They tried to do it, just not on Gentoo, and they have been burnt so
15 badly by whatever distribution they tried that they basically swear
16 off Linux completely for lack of time messing around, and just buy
17 fruit computers.
18
19 I have always appreciated the ability to customize, and I want to do
20 it. The framework for customization that is Gentoo easily surpasses
21 everything else that I have seen, and that's thanks to all the
22 developers.
23
24 But it means nothing for someone who wants to open a box, switch on
25 the power, and go online to $socialmediasite or $emailprovider.
28 //Peter