From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 18:16:16
1 On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 5:31 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 03:47:19PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> >
6 >>> > I agree with Greg Kroah-Hartman: I actually like (and want) a
7 >>> > "vertically integrated, tightly coupled way of doing things".
8 >>>
9 >>> Well, if you completely agreed with him you wouldn't be running Gentoo
10 >>> (or Debian, or other general-purpose distros). He advocates that
11 >>> ordinary users should use more purpose-driven distros, where all of
12 >>> this stuff is less of an issue.
13 >>
14 >> That is not what I said, or mean at all.
15 >>
16 >> Given that I'm a Gentoo developer, and have been for a very long time, I
17 >> find it very strange that you would think otherwise.
18 >
19 > I did clarify my post in a reply, linking to your post and of course
20 > stating that you could clarify. Your words were: "I just don't
21 > think it can be done well, sorry, which is why I strongly recommend
22 > tightly-coupled distros for desktops for anyone (like Fedora or
23 > openSUSE or Ubuntu), and Debian or Gentoo only for servers or embedded
24 > systems where you know exactly what you are putting together, and why
25 > you are doing it that way."
26 >
27 > I'm not a big fan of putting words in mouths, so if I misread that
28 > than I apologize. In any case, I can't really argue much with that
29 > statement as-is, although I'd probably carve out an additional
30 > exception for enthusiasts or those who otherwise like to tinker under
31 > the hood.
32 >
33 > If you want strong vertical integration, you probably will never get
34 > as much of it with Gentoo as you might get with a tightly-coupled
35 > distro.
36
37 You can get as much vertical integration with Gentoo as with any other
38 distro. The problem (and I think this is the point Greg is trying to
39 make) is that it will be harder (not impossible, just harder) if most
40 of Gentoo developers really believe that every single possible
41 combination of hardware, software, init systems, and even OS kernels
42 should be supported.
43
44 I myself believe that any Gentoo dev should support whatever the hell
45 s/he wants to; I'm just interested in that if some of us want vertical
46 integration, it should be easier to get. Right now every single Gentoo
47 install from the official tree has OpenRC installed, because is pulled
48 in by baselayout, and OpenRC also pulls sysvinit. And I'm not talking
49 about some text files (even if they are executables) in /etc/init.d;
50 I'm talking about executable binaries and libraries in every Gentoo
51 install, even if the user has systemd, and they don't use
52 OpenRC/sysvinit at all. Not to mention that they need to compile both
53 packages if they ever upgrade (which doesn't happen that much, I
54 agree).
55
56 Regards.
57 --