From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 10:32:58
1 On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 03:47:19PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> >
5 >> > I agree with Greg Kroah-Hartman: I actually like (and want) a
6 >> > "vertically integrated, tightly coupled way of doing things".
7 >>
8 >> Well, if you completely agreed with him you wouldn't be running Gentoo
9 >> (or Debian, or other general-purpose distros). He advocates that
10 >> ordinary users should use more purpose-driven distros, where all of
11 >> this stuff is less of an issue.
12 >
13 > That is not what I said, or mean at all.
14 >
15 > Given that I'm a Gentoo developer, and have been for a very long time, I
16 > find it very strange that you would think otherwise.
17
18 I did clarify my post in a reply, linking to your post and of course
19 stating that you could clarify. Your words were: "I just don't
20 think it can be done well, sorry, which is why I strongly recommend
21 tightly-coupled distros for desktops for anyone (like Fedora or
22 openSUSE or Ubuntu), and Debian or Gentoo only for servers or embedded
23 systems where you know exactly what you are putting together, and why
24 you are doing it that way."
25
26 I'm not a big fan of putting words in mouths, so if I misread that
27 than I apologize. In any case, I can't really argue much with that
28 statement as-is, although I'd probably carve out an additional
29 exception for enthusiasts or those who otherwise like to tinker under
30 the hood.
31
32 If you want strong vertical integration, you probably will never get
33 as much of it with Gentoo as you might get with a tightly-coupled
34 distro.
35
36 Rich