From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: auto-detection of unpack dependencies
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 02:52:20
1 On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 04:14:18 +0200
2 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > As a result of Cardoes earlier mail we talked a bit about possible
5 > solutions in #gento-portage, and I suggested to let portage
6 > automatically inject the deps based on SRC_URI pattern matching.
7 > A mapping of extensions and their unpack deps would be kept in the
8 > tree (e.g. mapping '.tar.bz2' to '( app-arch/tar app-arch/bzip2 )'
9
10 At dev.gentoo.org/~genone/unpack.eclass is the draft for an eclass
11 to implement this feature. It doesn't modify DEPEND by itself, ebuild
12 have to call unpack_update_depend on their own for that, as automatic
13 updates are problematic when you have to take indirect and multiple
14 inheritance of eclasses into account. As automatic updates aren't
15 implemented there is also no need for a RESTRICT setting or similar,
16 and also no requirements on the order of SRC_URI/RESTRICT/inherit.
17
18 The eclass also contains it's own implementation of unpack (renamed to
19 unpack2) and src_unpack so the logic which tools/packages are used for
20 unpacking can be maintained in a single place instead of being
21 splitted between the package manager and the tree.
22
23 If someone wants to use it I can add it on the tree (after the normal
24 review process and being better tested), but I'll only be doing it
25 when there is an actual demand for it (no point in adding an eclass that
26 nobody uses).
27
28 It's still possible to come up with a package-manager-based solution in
29 the future, but for the moment the eclass should help with the
30 immideate problem (though the problem isn't exactly new).
31
32 Marius
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list