From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] open season on other-dev's packages -- policy change?
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:00:42
1 On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
2 <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
3 > If you have a bug on bugzie that
4 > is more than a week old and it affects me, you can bet I will fix it and
5 > the notification you get will be the one from me closing your bug. If
6 > you have an issue with that maybe you should fix your own bugs.
7
8 If you want to co-maintain a package, then ping the current maintainer
9 and add yourself to the maintainer list. You can then stay in touch
10 with them and coordinate plans for keeping the package working.
11
12 Suppose that developer has the fix standing by, but is working on
13 something else and wants to fix both issues at once to cut down on
14 revbumps? Maybe they have a few week's worth handy and were waiting
15 for the right moment.
16
17 The fact is that the behavior you are bragging about is in violation
18 of policy. If you don't like the policy by all means chime in and
19 discuss it, or ask the council to take it up.
20
21 This isn't about being territorial. If you want to help co-maintain a
22 package I maintain you're welcome to do so. However, this is a
23 long-term commitment. Otherwise, send me an email before you go
24 messing with things. If you're doing tree-wide work then coordinate
25 it with the appropriate project lead and make announcements on
26 -dev-announce as needed. Nobody wants to stand in the way of getting
27 bugs fixed - there is just a way to do it so that you don't drive
28 everybody crazy.
29
30 Rich