From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] open season on other-dev's packages -- policy change?
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 17:55:56
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 11/25/2012 10:51 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
6 > <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
7 >> If you horribly break my package, you may hear about it, but you
8 >> certainly won't get yelled at for fixing my bugs or bumping a package.
9 >
10 > While I think there is a balance to be found, keep in mind that you as
11 > the developer aren't the only person impacted if somebody breaks a
12 > package you maintain. Perhaps your users would prefer that people
13 > with less experience with the package not fiddle with it.
14 The developer fiddling with it needs to be confident they know what they
15 are doing (or at least have discussed it with more experienced
16 developers) before they "fiddle" with my packages. My open invitation
17 for help should not be mistaken for an open invitation to experiment
18 with my packages.
19 >
20 > If a package has a responsive maintainer, then pinging them isn't
21 > really much of a hurdle. If the package doesn't have a responsive
22 > maintainer, then perhaps that should be fixed.
23 The problem is what of people like me, some weeks I'm very responsive
24 (seconds to minutes) while other times I'm away from a computer for the
25 entire week with no warning. I don't want people waiting to fix
26 something easy because they are being polite to me. As you said, what
27 of my users? Do they feel it's good to "wait a week" (something I hear
28 all the time) for a simple fix simply because no one could reach me? I
29 think not.
30 >
31 > I'm not saying that there shouldn't be some way for maintainers to
32 > indicate when they're willing to allow others to touch packages
33 > without asking. I'm just saying that this isn't purely a matter of
34 > maintainer preference, or territorialism.
35
36 There shouldn't need to be a way for maintainers to indicate they are
37 willing to allow others to touch packages without asking, in my opinion
38 this should be the norm.
39
40 Again, no one should be randomly experimenting with someone else's
41 packages without asking, but fixes for obvious or even non-obvious
42 issues should be WELCOMED by all devs. If you have a bug on bugzie that
43 is more than a week old and it affects me, you can bet I will fix it and
44 the notification you get will be the one from me closing your bug. If
45 you have an issue with that maybe you should fix your own bugs.
46
47 When I say things like that I've had other devs "threaten" to find and
48 file bugs in my packages and then fix those bugs without asking me.
49 Really? Pretty please! If you see something I've missed you are welcome
50 to 1.) file a bug 2.) fix the bug if I'm not (nearly) immediately
51 responsive to assist. I think this practice (overall) will improve
52 Gentoo for our users, and at the end of the day that's the only thing
53 that matters, not my ego.
54
55 Thanks,
56 Zero
57
58 PS> If you need an explicit "you are permitted to touch my packages"
59 then here it is, signed with my gpg key and everything. Find my bugs,
60 fix my bugs, try really hard not to break things. Thanks for your help.