From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Future EAPI version operator changes
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 13:52:53
1 On 11/06/2016 05:52 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > I've collected various ideas on operator changes on a wiki page [1].
4 > I've tried to stay open-minded and cover every possibility, even though
5 > I doubt some of them would be even considered.
6 >
7 > ...
8 >
9 > So, what are your comments?
12 I read through the whole thing, and... it's overwhelming. A lot of the
13 later proposals would be affected by the first one, the reordering of
14
15 >=app-foo/bar-x.y.z
19 app-foo/bar >= x.y.z
20
21 Maybe it makes sense to discuss that first, since it impacts so many of
22 the rest? In that proposal, the one problem mentioned is that the syntax
23 would collide with the subslot dependency syntax. For example, right
24 now, if I want to depend on SLOT=4 of app-foo/bar and I need my package
25 to rebuild when app-foo/bar changes subslots, then I would use
26
27 app-foo/bar:4=
28
29 With the infix change, this becomes a problem if I add an "==" version
30 operator on the end:
31
32 app-foo/bar:4===4.1
33
34 If we're changing everything already, though, can't we adjust the syntax
35 for the subslot operators? I didn't know that ":4=" was the syntax that
36 we used to depend on both a slot and a subslot. My first impression is
37 that it would make more sense to use ":=4", since that can be read as
38 "slot equals 4", just like ":*" means "slot whatever". It's not a
39 perfect translation, but it sounds better than ":4=", and ":=4" looks
40 like a stronger version of ":4", which is accurate.