From: Robert Cole <robert.cole@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] creating ebuilds
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 15:39:02
1 On Tue January 06 2004 4:09 am, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 03:39, Robert Cole wrote:
3 > > On Mon January 05 2004 11:55 pm, Jon Portnoy wrote:
4 > > > Okay, let me explain a little bit about how the recruitment process
5 > > > works.
6 > >
7 > > I like it. That's a very good process. I'm talking about ebuilds here.
8 > > I'll be honest and say I don't know how the backend of the portage tree
9 > > works with security and all but maybe another tier would be in order if
10 > > possible. Like a low access new ebuild access that gets queued and not
11 > > actually put in the tree and someone with access could simply flag it to
12 > > move into the tree or reject it sending an email back to the creator of
13 > > the ebuild why.
14 >
15 > That is exactly what is done with Bugzilla. If ti isn't being done on
16 > certain ebuild submissions, it should be.
17
18 I couldn't agree more with Allen on this. Bugzilla should be for software bugs
19 not ebuilds. It obviously sucks for that.
20
21 > Bugs will stay in Bugzilla if no developer wants to maintain the
22 > package. At the end of the day, if I submit an ebuild that you created,
23 > *I* am responsible for it, not you. Many developers do not want to take
24 > on the responsibility of maintaining ebuilds that they know little to
25 > nothing about. I know I surely don't.
26
27 Now this is just wrong. A cvs dev shouldn't have to shoulder someone elses
28 ebuild when the submitter is willing to maintain it.
29
30 <snip>
31 > than try to add new "testing" packages. As for ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, Gentoo
32 > does not use ~ARCH as an unstable area. It is an area for testing
33 > EBUILDS, not for testing packages. If a package is unstable, it doesn't
34 > belong in our tree. Period.
35
36 Whoa then I guess you better clear out half the gentoo tree then! Just because
37 a new release of a software is put out doesn't mean its stable. Heck look at
38 gcc, gnupg, cvs, etc yet because those packages have active maintainers they
39 get rev bumped within hours of a new release and some get downgraded quickly.
40
41 I run KDE 3.2 beta 2 but it's not 100% stable so you better hurry up and take
42 it out of the tree.
43
44 See how bogus " If a package is unstable, it doesn't belong in our tree.
45 Period." is? Simply not true. Gentoo is a bleeding edge distro and gets all
46 the latest releases of anything that has a maintainer beta, pre, or release.
47
48 > No. It is a bug that should be fixed by the developer/maintainer. It
49 > very well COULD be a developer's fault that someone's system went
50 > haywire. Usually, though, it is simply a combination of items which was
51 > not explicitly tested for and ends up being a bug in either the ebuild
52 > or the package itself.
53
54 And I say so what? Again as a gentoo user I accept that risk when I use the
55 gentoo distro. If I want "stable" I could run debian stable and be a few
56 years back on everything all the time.
57
58 > Yes. You can always add ebuilds to bugzilla. If you think people will
59 > be interested in them, stir up some support for them in the forums and
60 > have people test your ebuilds. Look at lots of ebuilds and see how the
61 > "official" developers do things and try to improve the general quality
62 > of your ebuilds. Try to help out on Bug Day. Prove yourself as a
63 > valuable asset to Gentoo and the development team will scoop you up
64 > quickly. It's that simple.
65
66 I'll do my best. I feel I owe gentoo, kde, openoffice.org, etc allot and right
67 now the only way I can pay back is testing and submitting ebuilds. When I
68 have the financial means I'll do that too.
69
70 Robert
73 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list