From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] creating ebuilds
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:38:40
1 On 01/06/04 Robert Cole wrote:
2
3 And I say so what? Again as a gentoo user I accept that risk when I
4 > use the gentoo distro. If I want "stable" I could run debian stable
5 > and be a few years back on everything all the time.
6
7 You do, but you can't necessarily expect that from all other users too.
8 Gentoo has become a lot more mainstream in the past year (I leave it for
9 everyone to decide for themselves if that's good or bad). We can't (and
10 don't wanto to) control the community and what it expects from us,
11 Gentoo has to adjust to it's community, not the other way round.
12 Ask the community if it's safe to use ~arch packages, I'll bet many
13 people will answer that it is. As a new user you trust them, it breaks
14 your system badly, you loose some important data. This leaves a bad
15 image for Gentoo and that can spread very fast.
16
17 One idea I've seen in this thread I've thought about some time ago, but
18 never got it implemented due to lack of time (and maybe skills ;):
19 A website for users to do some auto-quality checking for their ebuilds,
20 a webinterface for repoman or similar (so upload your ebuild and get
21 some feedback about quality without waiting for a dev). Not to replace
22 but enhance bugzilla. If anyone feels like implementing this, I think it
23 would be a nice addition.
24
25 Marius
30 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
31 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.