From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EJOBS variable for EAPI 5? (was: [RFC] Create a JOBS variable to replace -jX in MAKEOPTS)
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 00:20:57
1 On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:12:44AM -0400, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:45:21 +0100
3 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 10:21:15 +0200
6 > > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > Coming back to this old topic [1]. Is there still consensus that we
8 > > > should have such an EJOBS variable? (It shouldn't be called JOBS
9 > > > because this name is too generic, see the old discussion.) Then we
10 > > > could add it to EAPI 5.
11 > > >
12 > > > Ulrich
13 > > >
14 > > > [1]
15 > > > <http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_750e33f68b16d971dff1f40dd9145e56.xml>
16 > >
17 > > If we're doing this, do we tell users to stop setting MAKEOPTS for
18 > > EAPIs 5 and greater?
19 >
20 > How can this work ? I cant think of any simple solution.
21 >
22 > > Do we change the name of MAKEOPTS for EAPIs 5 and
23 > > greater instead? Do we put fancy code in the package mangler to deal
24 > > with it?
25 >
26 > IMHO EAPI-5 compliant PMs should do MAKEOPTS="$MAKEOPTS -j$EJOBS" for
27 > every EAPI; using EJOBS from ebuilds/eclasses is allowed only in EAPI 5
28 > and greater.
29 > This is retroactive but could be classified 'PM internals' so its fine
30 > imho.
31
32 This approach is fine imo, although I'd *potentially* look at adding a
33 magic $PROC_COUNT var that is the # of cpu threads on the system;
34 either that or defaulting jobs to it.
35
36 I rather dislike requiring users to go jam a 2/4/8 in there when it's
37 easy to compute. That said, it's minor.
38
39 Either way, yes, I think EJOBS should be in EAPI5.
40 ~harring