From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EJOBS variable for EAPI 5? (was: [RFC] Create a JOBS variable to replace -jX in MAKEOPTS)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:13:58
1 On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:45:21 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 10:21:15 +0200
5 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Coming back to this old topic [1]. Is there still consensus that we
7 > > should have such an EJOBS variable? (It shouldn't be called JOBS
8 > > because this name is too generic, see the old discussion.) Then we
9 > > could add it to EAPI 5.
10 > >
11 > > Ulrich
12 > >
13 > > [1]
14 > > <http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_750e33f68b16d971dff1f40dd9145e56.xml>
15 >
16 > If we're doing this, do we tell users to stop setting MAKEOPTS for
17 > EAPIs 5 and greater?
18
19 How can this work ? I cant think of any simple solution.
20
21 > Do we change the name of MAKEOPTS for EAPIs 5 and
22 > greater instead? Do we put fancy code in the package mangler to deal
23 > with it?
24
25 IMHO EAPI-5 compliant PMs should do MAKEOPTS="$MAKEOPTS -j$EJOBS" for
26 every EAPI; using EJOBS from ebuilds/eclasses is allowed only in EAPI 5
27 and greater.
28 This is retroactive but could be classified 'PM internals' so its fine
29 imho.
30
31 People using such a PM and not reading the news will get the old
32 MAKEOPTS which will still work with makefile based build systems but
33 will get serial builds for e.g. EAPI5 ebuilds + waf based build systems.
34 Not a very big deal.
35
36 A.