From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for August 7
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 23:11:35
1 On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 16:06:11 -0700
2 "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Stephen Bennett
4 > <spbennett@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > I would like to put forward the following suggestion for the
6 > > Council's consideration:
7 > >
8 > > "While the current state of PMS is not perfect, it is a reasonably
9 > > close approximation to existing and historical behaviour of EAPI 0.
10 > > Given this, and that getting a perfect definition is not feasible
11 > > on a timescale shorter than several years, it should be treated as
12 > > a draft standard, and any deviations from it found in the gentoo
13 > > tree or package managers should have a bug filed against either the
14 > > deviator or PMS to resolve the differences.
15 >
16 > Is this not already the status quo? Surely a number of bugs in the
17 > tree have already been fixed in this manner.
18
19 Currently some developers are quite happy to fix issues, whilst others
20 prefer to yell "Portage is the only supported package manager and if it
21 works for me with Portage you can go to hell"...
22
23 Also, some developers seem quite happy making changes to Portage that
24 break existing packages that rely upon behaviour as defined by PMS,
25 under the assertion that "PMS is too much like a rulebook"...
28 Ciaran McCreesh