From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:23:29
1 Danny van Dyk wrote:
2
3 > Please have a look at the council's meeting log. They said:
4 > a) the changes had been minor and exactly what the changes they wanted
5 > in in the first meeting.
6
7 Minor? What you're asking for will cause a lot of administrative
8 nightmare for infra to manage those subdomain addresses among other
9 things. I would have preferred that the people involved with this could
10 have directly asked infra if this would work for us. That's a simple
11 request that I did not see from these folks.
12
13 > b) they stated that this is the first and the last time that a GLEP will
14 > be voted on if that hasn't been discussed sufficiently long enough on -dev
15
16 Good, so lets please fix this current GLEP before we implement it. I
17 don't like the answer of "they voted on it, so do it". To me, they voted
18 upon it without following their new mandate on discussion of GLEPs
19 before the meeting. The whole point of GLEPs is discussion to make sure
20 we don't make mistakes, especially if revisions were made. Just because
21 it follows the mandates of what the council wanted doesn't mean it
22 shouldn't be discussed again on -dev. I trust the council's decisions
23 and commonsense, but there still needs to be input from the masses to
24 ensure details are worked out BEFORE they are voted upon.
25
26 Simply saying "we'll have a subdomain for new email addresses" without
27 asking infra about it first negates the vote in my eyes because we
28 weren't properly involved in the discussion process which was skipped
29 for the revision. We're the ones that will be put on the task to
30 implement it, yet never got any direct input from the people who wrote
31 this GLEP.
32
33 > c) that new limitations for a vote are: send (revised) glep to
34 > gentoo-dev (at least) 14 days before the next council meeting, ask (at
35 > least) 7 days before the meeting for vote. (For this you can also read
36 > seemants mail announcing the availability of the logs)
37
38 Great, so lets negate the vote and do the right thing for this current
39 GLEP. I don't see the point of letting this one pass by especially since
40 the GLEP folks even said themselves they could wait. All I'm after is
41 doing this the right way instead of shoving it under a table and just
42 forcing the issue. I would prefer this be corrected as stated above with
43 proper discussion instead of saying that its already be decided on so do it.
44
45 Can some of the council members please comment on this? I'm curious
46 their thoughts on this. Maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree, I just
47 see this as a terrible miscommunication between the GLEP authors, the
48 council, and infra. The council and GLEP authors were in line, but
49 weren't in line with infra. I would just like the vote to be
50 reconsidered or postponed until we properly come up with a logistical
51 solution that will work for infra.
54 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
55 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
56
57 ---
58 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
59 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
60
61 ramereth/irc.freenode.net