From: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Key policy for GPG verification [was: 2004.2 Feature Requests]
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 11:09:02
1 On Friday 30 April 2004 21:23, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Ok, guess I should repeat that the most important thing for GPG signing
3 > (actually the missing part is verification) that's still missing is a
4 > key policy: where to store keys, how to check if they are trustworthy
5 > and so on. If we can agree on a simple and effective solution there it
6 > shouldn't be too difficult to implement this feature (talking about code
7 > here, not the tree). The last time we had a way too long thread with way
8 > too many details and discussions about problem scenarios, please let's
9 > try to avoid that.
10 > And to get everyone on track I'll start with a very simple proposal
11 > (idea stolen from Spanky IIRC), I won't say that it's really effective
12 > though:
13 > - keys are stored in a keyring and are installed by an ebuild
14 > - a key is trustworthy if it is in that keyring
15 > - expiration is handled by removing the key from that keyring
16 > - each modification to the keyring involves a version bump on the ebuild
17 > That's about the easiest for implementation and doesn't require anything
18 > new for our infrastructure or key-signing-sessions. It does not say who
19 > will manage that keyring though as that is not important for the
20 > implementation. I'm pretty sure that the idea has a number of flaws, but
21 > we have to start somewhere.
22 >
23 > Marius
24
25 Uh oh.. this again ;-)
26
27 The above proposal doesn't allow recovery from a compromise, since someone
28 could update the new keys ebuild to a new one containing only their key. The
29 master key / monthly signing multi-server keys proposal was better. See the
30 archives for details.
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list