From: Piotr Karbowski <slashbeast@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] making rust-bin ordered first in virtual/rust
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 21:10:45
1 On 18/01/2022 00.24, Georgy Yakovlev wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've been approached multiple times with that request, and a lot of
5 > time I see new users completely destroyed by rust build time and disk
6 > space requirements.
7 >
8 > WDYT about switching order of rusts in a virtual?
9 >
10 > RDEPEND="|| (
11 > ~dev-lang/rust-${PV}
12 > ~dev-lang/rust-bin-${PV}
13 > )"
16 > becomes
17 >
18 > RDEPEND="|| (
19 > ~dev-lang/rust-bin-${PV}
20 > ~dev-lang/rust-${PV}
21 > )"
24 > Existing installs should be unaffected ofc.
25 > But portage may prefer to depclean rust and not rust-bin if both are
26 > present.
27 > Users who wish to use source version at all times can just add it to
28 > world file.
29 >
30 > I see both positives and negatives of doing that, but would like to
31 > reach out to community first.
32
33 I would prefer to have source based one first.
34
35 Ideally we'd have some way to mark binary packages with new EAPI and
36 have FEATURES flag like 'prefer-binary' and go with -bin in case there's
37 || ( ) dependencies list, regardless of the original order in virtual.
38 This way everyone could be happy and not choose one workflow over another.
39
40 -- Piotr.