From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] making rust-bin ordered first in virtual/rust
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 21:33:00
1 On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 4:10 PM Piotr Karbowski <slashbeast@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Ideally we'd have some way to mark binary packages with new EAPI and
4 > have FEATURES flag like 'prefer-binary' and go with -bin in case there's
5 > || ( ) dependencies list, regardless of the original order in virtual.
6 > This way everyone could be happy and not choose one workflow over another.
7
8 Ideally we'd just have a repository of binary builds for everything
9 with default USE flags for a few profiles, and users could choose to
10 configure portage to just download the binary package if the flags
11 match, and of course this could be overridden per-package. Then there
12 would be no need for -bin anything. We have to maintain half of that
13 for the stage builds anyway.
14
15 I don't have a strong preference but I doubt that many of our users
16 receive any benefit whatsoever from building rust from source, and so
17 I'd suggest -bin ought to be the default. However, having a
18 pre-installation notice that the -bin is available with a link/etc to
19 how to use it seems reasonable. I bet a lot of users spend more time
20 getting the source build to work than it would take to just
21 reconfigure things so that they get the -bin. If users are building
22 in a tmpfs or with numerous parallel jobs odds are that they'll end up
23 with a build failure for rust - CPU cores are way cheaper than RAM.
26 Rich