From: Regis Smith <rsmith@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] final release?
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 03:03:57
1 On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 09:09:08PM -0500, Denis Shcherbakov wrote:
2 > [...]
3 > I am getting brave enough to consider the idea of using Gentoo to deliver
4 > laptop-aided presentations for scientific seminars. I haven't researched
5 > that topic very much yet, but this is where stability and dependability
6 > would count the most for me - the ability not to worry that my Powerpoint
7 > in Windoze will crash during a talk. I haven't seen anyone present with a
8 > Linux laptop yet... Any of you tried it? I'd love to know!!
9
10 If you have a laptop with the proper video outputs, doing a
11 presentation in Linux is essentially the same as doing one in Windows,
12 isn't it? Just run xdvi or gv (or whatever you use) full screen. If
13 you need the cutesie powerpoint effects, I believe there is an
14 extension for TeX that produces PDFs with such effects that acrobat
15 can render (though the last time I tried acrobat for Linux (not
16 recently) it liked to crash). Or just use Kpresenter if you use KDE.
17 As far as stability goes, xdvi and gv can't be touched (IMO). mgv has
18 a nice full screen mode, but I've seen it crash before on certain
19 PDFs.
20
21 By the way, I would never do a powerpoint unless it was required, but
22 I have to admit I've never seen ppt crash during a live presentation.
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list