From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect init
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 15:42:24
1 On 05/25/2013 01:13 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > El sáb, 25-05-2013 a las 11:54 +0200, Luca Barbato escribió:
3 >> Hi, since the whole discussion got somehow sidetracked on where and if
4 >> to install for everybody the rc system specific files for everybody
5 >> (that should be an implementation detail for the specific dohelper
6 >> IMHO), I'm back to the other part of it: switching the actual init
7 >> implementation.
8 >>
9 >> # WHY (not just edit your bootloader)
10 >>
11 >> Since efi at least some people started to put in the kernel the bootargs
12 >> and we have at least few new options brewing for init, some are
13 >> small impact (bootchar, bb-init-openrc and runit-openrc) some are more
14 >> invasive (runit and systemd).
15 >
16 > I use e4rat and, for that, I need to add
17 > init=/sbin/e4rat-preload
18 >
19 > to my grub.conf, I guess this wouldn't change with this, no? :/
20
21 mostly you would be able to do
22
23 # eselect init addon e4rat
24
25 instead.
26
27 But the whole eselect init should be an opt-in till we are 100% sure it
28 covers the usual scenarios.
29
30 The basic idea is that you would have a wrapper (shellscript or binary)
31 that just reads from a known location what to run once and what to run
32 the following times, something along the lines of
33
34 if (switching)
35 do_switch
36 else