From: Chris Reffett <creffett@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] February 2014 QA policy updates
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 22:08:37
1 Hello all,
2 The following are the policy changes from this month's QA team meeting:
3
4 -USE=multislot (and other USE-dependent SLOT values) need to be removed
5 from the tree. Toolchain can keep it in an overlay if they want. We
6 would consider it acceptable to remove USE=multislot from the tree but
7 keep the eclasses as-is, so that toolchain doesn't need to maintain multiple
8 eclasses. This does not affect sys-boot/grub's USE=multislot, as that
9 does not mangle the SLOT value like the others (as I understand it).
10
11 -Regarding the gtk/gtk2/gtk3 USE flag situation: we mandate that gtk
12 move to versioned USE flags. For simplicity of migration, we will allow
13 USE=gtk to mean "depend on gtk2," since there are only a few USE=gtk2
14 remaining in tree. USE=gtk3 will mean "depend on gtk3," and in the
15 future, USE=gtk4 will mean "depend on gtk4," and so on. USE=gtk may
16 not be used to mean "depend on some version of gtk."
17
18 -More generally: we recommend that in future situations like this (a package
19 can optionally depend on different versions of a library), we recommend the
20 use of versioned USE flags. It should be discussed with the QA team either
21 way.
22
23 Also, on a non-policy note, we recommend that the Council deprecate
24 EAPIs 0 and 3 (0 pending discussion with toolchain) and ban EAPI 1. As
25 always, if you have questions, feel free to ping us in #gentoo-qa. The meeting
26 summary and these policies will be available on the Quality Assurance page
27 on the Gentoo Wiki tonight or tomorrow.
28
29 Chris Reffett
30 Gentoo QA Lead