From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] Split distfile mirror directory structure
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 16:47:23
1 On 01/27/2018 03:30 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >>
3 >> What are we worried about in using a temporary directory? Copying across
4 >> filesystem boundaries? Except in rare cases, $DISTDIR itself will be
5 >> usable a temporary location (on the same filesystem), won't it?
6 >
7 > Why add the extra complexity when there's no need for one? Note that
8 > there's also the problem of resuming transfers, so in the end we're
9 > talking about permanent temporary directory where we keep unfinished
10 > transfers.
11
12 Can't argue with that, but I don't see it as a huge "con."
15 >> For the second point, portage is going to tell me where to put the file,
16 >> isn't it? Then no matter what garbage I download, won't portage look for
17 >> it in the right place, because where-to-put-it is determined using the
18 >> same manifest hash that determines where-to-find-it?
19 >
20 > No, it won't. Why would it? You're going to call something like:
21 >
22 > edistadd foo.tar.gz bar.tar.gz
23 >
24 > ...and it will place the files in the right subdirectories.
25
26 If we have a tool like edistadd, then I see the problem. But if we were
27 going to use file-data based hashes, then there would be no need for a
28 tool in most cases. As a developer, "repoman manifest" would handle it.
29 As a user, I'm going to see a message like,
30
31 Fetch instructions for games-fps/doom3-lms-4:
32 * Please download LastManStandingCoop4Multiplatform.zip from:
33 * http://www.moddb.com/mods/last-man-standing-coop/downloads
34 * and move it to /var/cache/portage/distfiles
35
36 except instead of $DISTDIR, it would suggest whatever directory is
37 computed from the hash in the manifest.