From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] Split distfile mirror directory structure
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 18:14:23
1 W dniu sob, 27.01.2018 o godzinie 11∶47 -0500, użytkownik Michael
2 Orlitzky napisał:
3 > On 01/27/2018 03:30 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > What are we worried about in using a temporary directory? Copying across
6 > > > filesystem boundaries? Except in rare cases, $DISTDIR itself will be
7 > > > usable a temporary location (on the same filesystem), won't it?
8 > >
9 > > Why add the extra complexity when there's no need for one? Note that
10 > > there's also the problem of resuming transfers, so in the end we're
11 > > talking about permanent temporary directory where we keep unfinished
12 > > transfers.
13 >
14 > Can't argue with that, but I don't see it as a huge "con."
17 > > > For the second point, portage is going to tell me where to put the file,
18 > > > isn't it? Then no matter what garbage I download, won't portage look for
19 > > > it in the right place, because where-to-put-it is determined using the
20 > > > same manifest hash that determines where-to-find-it?
21 > >
22 > > No, it won't. Why would it? You're going to call something like:
23 > >
24 > > edistadd foo.tar.gz bar.tar.gz
25 > >
26 > > ...and it will place the files in the right subdirectories.
27 >
28 > If we have a tool like edistadd, then I see the problem. But if we were
29 > going to use file-data based hashes, then there would be no need for a
30 > tool in most cases. As a developer, "repoman manifest" would handle it.
31 > As a user, I'm going to see a message like,
32 >
33 > Fetch instructions for games-fps/doom3-lms-4:
34 > * Please download LastManStandingCoop4Multiplatform.zip from:
35 > * http://www.moddb.com/mods/last-man-standing-coop/downloads
36 > * and move it to /var/cache/portage/distfiles
37 >
38 > except instead of $DISTDIR, it would suggest whatever directory is
39 > computed from the hash in the manifest.
42 How would that work if you had 5 different files, every one evaluating
43 to a different directory?
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny