From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 14:54:55
1 On Monday, October 17, 2016 03:52:52 PM Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 10/17/2016 03:47 PM, M. J. Everitt wrote:
3 > > On 17/10/16 14:44, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
4 > >>> If a binary package is provided in addition to its source-based
5 > >>> equivalent, the name of the former should be suffixed with '-bin'
6 > >>> for distinction."
7 > >>
8 > >> Essentially what I would like to see in policy yes. Though it does not
9 > >> address the problem of identifying packages that can be built from
10 > >> source, that get put in tree as binary, for what ever reason.
11 > >
12 > > Perhaps you can compile a list of such packages, as I would imagine QA
13 > > would be interested as to how 'widespread' this problem really is?
14 >
15 > Off the top of my head I'm only aware of libreoffice-bin myself (and
16 > then it is a clear alternative to libreoffice if wanting the source),
17 > providing this as a binary is a convenience to end-users not wanting to
18 > spend 50 minutes on the compile.
19
20 There's also firefox-bin, which gets built upstream with profile-guided
21 optimizations enabled. PGO is unsupported outside of upstream's build process,
22 last I checked...but that was a few years ago.
25 :wq