From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:06:33
1 On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 07:47:11PM +0100, Danny van Dyk wrote:
2 [... About the stage1/2 instructions in the Gentoo FAQ ...]
3 > That's currently a stub. If i recall right, Swift mentioned on #-dev
4 > that he'd need to refurbish this.
5
6 Lots of heat again. Good thing, because it is quite cold here in Belgium.
7
8 When I originally created the Gentoo Handbook, I hoped that it would contain
9 all Gentoo-specific documentation in one place: the installation
10 instructions for all architectures, all possible methods. However, that
11 first attempt had its fundamental flaws, the major one being the stupid
12 believe that users wouldn't mind reading about other architectures if they
13 are well guided through the instructions.
14
15 So the Handbook changed and split. Architecture-specific instructions were
16 moved to separate files and each architecture had its own handbook even
17 though many parts of it were shared, allowing the Gentoo Documentation
18 Project to maintain all Handbooks without having one or more of them become
19 too outdated easily (which was what happened with the separate installation
20 guides).
21
22 Yet this attempt still had its difficulties: when the Release Engineering
23 team decided that a quarterly release was too stressful (they had to do more
24 packaging and deployment rather than research and development) they also
25 made the Gentoo Documentation Project split the handbooks in two: one which
26 contained the Internet-based installation instructions, using the latest
27 stable packages (baselayout), while the other handbook contained the
28 instructions that were statically bound to a certain release.
29
30 This was needed because, at that time, Gentoo had a history of changing core
31 system configuration too often making it too darn difficult to keep the
32 Handbook in good shape. Right now, I believe that those causes are invalid
33 and that the separate handbooks can be combined again, especially with the
34 request to move the stage1/2 instructions elsewhere.
35
36 I was quite reluctant to move the instructions at first, but when I found
37 out that the instructions were indeed not perfect, I had two choices: either
38 update the instructions in the Handbook to be correct, or move the
39 instructions outside the Handbook first (making sure that the official
40 installation instructions remain bugfree) and write a separate guide on
41 bootstrapping.
42
43 Based on the input I've gathered from the gentoo-doc mailinglist,
44 gentoo-releng mailinglist, Gentoo Forums and various other sources it was
45 quite obvious that a *very* *short* amount of users was aware of the theory
46 (and practice) behind bootstrapping. In fact, most saw "stage-1" as the
47 online drug to increate their, quoting Xavier Neys, "ePenis". And not only
48 that, but I also found that I personally lacked the knowledge to write
49 something decent about bootstrapping.
50
51 Therefore I decided to move the instructions that were in the Gentoo
52 Handbook to the Gentoo FAQ in the first place. I intended to have the FAQ be
53 accurate with the information I already had without losing anything
54 important. I did miss something in that procedure, namely the change of the
55 CHOST variable, but other than that the FAQ contains the same instructions
56 as were in the Gentoo Handbook.
57
58 The next step for me was (and still is) to investigate what bootstrapping by
59 itself means. Why whould anyone need to rebuild this toolchain twice? I
60 could perfectly understand why it was needed the first time, but why the
61 second time? The only reason I could give myself was that it was to test the
62 toolchain: if it can rebuild itself, it can build all other packages.
63
64 After finally figuring out what bootstrapping is (with input from a nice
65 forum thread in the "Gentoo Chat" department, information gathered from the
66 GCC mailinglist and some dev prodding online) I am now trying to work out a
67 reasonable scenario as to why someone would bootstrap his system as an
68 example for the guide.
69
70 You might be wondering why I didn't first write the damn guide and /then/
71 update the Gentoo Handbook. Two reasons are behind this. First, the Gentoo
72 Release Engineering project has asked me to do so, and they were kind enough
73 to give reasons (like bugreports, but also the theoretical problem with the
74 bootstrapping/system stuff, circular dependency stuff, etc.). The
75 installation instructions and the release engineering project are two hands
76 that should always work together and any discrepancy between them would lead
77 to confusion of the user.
78
79 The second one is my personal motivation: I want to be certain that users
80 /comprehend/ what they are doing rather than blindly copying over
81 instructions from one screen to another. We've had (and still have) lots of
82 users break their initial installation because they "forgot" to edit their
83 /etc/fstab. For a documentation writer, this is unacceptable. Any failed
84 installation is seen by me as either a (1.) very stupid user, or (2.)
85 failure on my part to document the instructions well.
86
87 This is my motivation, and this motivation is mine.
88
89 Sincerely,
90
91 Sven Vermeulen