From: Moritz Schulte <moritz@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:10:02
1 Benj <ben@××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > Wasn't the idea to include a USE variable of something, so that
4 > users could choose which to call it?
5
6 This has nothing to do with the actuall point. People asking the
7 Gentoo team to call the system GNU/Linux don't ask simply because they
8 would like to read the small word "GNU" on _their_ system - they can
9 change _their_ system. I think, quite few people care about wether my
10 /etc/issue says Linux or GNU/Linux. Nor is it of much interest of
11 wether I prefer the name Linux or GNU/Linux. The point is that the
12 name GNU/Linux gives credits to the GNU Project, which has helped so
13 much to create this "Linux system" we like to use - in a technical but
14 also in a philosophical way. But all this is already written down in
15 the URL RMS gave. The point is that the name GNU/Linux would make
16 some people realize what Linux is and what GNU is. It would probably
17 make more people understand how important GNU is and that is a bit
18 weird to call the whole operating system "Linux".
19
20 The argument was given that Phython is not part of the GNU Project,
21 although it is an essential piece for the Gentoo part of the Gentoo
22 system. Still, the system on which Portage is running is the same.
23
24 moritz
25 --
26 moritz@×××××××××××××××.de - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
27 GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06 B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199