From: Andreas Waschbuesch <awaschb@××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Using Gentoo Live CD as a rescue disk
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:48:59
1 Pierre-Henri Jondot wrote:
2
3 > [ tightened again ]
4 > Andreas Waschbuesch <awaschb@××××.de> wrote:
5 >
6 >> [ iso/live CD bashing ]
7 > Right but : in gentoo 1.1a and 1.2 isos
8 > ramdisk is something like 22Mb ram : which is as much as you won't
9 > have
10 > for building your gentoo system. (and it is nearly full... you can't
11 > add much except with enlarging the ramdisk)
12 >
13 > the ramdisk is the reason too why you can't have a decent editor,
14 > (all
15 > right nano is quite sufficient for editing a few configuration files
16 > but still...)
17
18 OK. That's an argument. Thumbs up for a live CD WITH vi!
19
20 > It is the reason too why you won't find an irc client, and I must say
21 > that one the qualities of gentoo is irc support, neither will you find
22 > a web browser, be it in text mode only.
23
24 Agreed. Never thought of that - knock on wood - cause I never had
25 problems installing gentoo. Another vote for a live CD WITH links and
26 irssi!
27
28 > You have all that in livecd with a size that is decent for the basic
29 > livecd as well as for exemple rp-pppoe binaries which, needless to
30 > say, are very useful for us european dsl users. (I did patch the
31 > gentoo 1.2 to add rp-pppoe support then, but the process is much more
32 > natural with the livecd...)
33
34 Hm. What about a router/gateway? Agreed, that box must be built up once,
35 too :-)
36
37 > There is still much work to be done to make it near perfection... But
38 > my point is simply to say it is worth it. I don't suppose any work
39 > will be done towards coming back to the ramdisk old isos used, and,
40 > IMHO, it is better this way.
41
42 I'm still not sure, they can't be handy alternatives in some (here: all)
43 cases ...
44
45 >> So what's the trade for my 2 Euro Cents? ;-)
46 >
47 > Well, as you can guess I was thinking euro too...
50 So I owe You nothing but "thanks!" ;-)