From: Pierre-Henri Jondot <Pierre-Henri.Jondot@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Using Gentoo Live CD as a rescue disk
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:23:07
1 On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:55:22 +0200
2 Andreas Waschbuesch <awaschb@××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Concerning gentoo installation I'd rather like to see the "good old"
5 > mini isos (16MB) with somewhat "current" config as installation base.
6 > That'd be enough. Who wants to download those bloated "everything
7 > included" isos as the ONE choice? OK. Apart from that - a demo CD or
8 > maybe even full stage3 Live CD and maybe more as alternatives, OK.
9 > (derived from the 1.1a iso) rather than the livecd...
10 >
11 > It exists _and_ it works _and_ the smallest one is only 16MB ...
12 >
13 Right but : in gentoo 1.1a and 1.2 isos
14 ramdisk is something like 22Mb ram : which is as much as you won't have
15 for building your gentoo system. (and it is nearly full... you can't add
16 much except with enlarging the ramdisk)
17
18 the ramdisk is the reason too why you can't have a decent editor, (all
19 right nano is quite sufficient for editing a few configuration files but
20 still...)
21
22 It is the reason too why you won't find an irc client, and I must say that
23 one the qualities of gentoo is irc support, neither will you find a web
24 browser, be it in text mode only.
25
26 You have all that in livecd with a size that is decent for the basic livecd
27 as well as for exemple rp-pppoe binaries which, needless to say, are very
28 useful for us european dsl users. (I did patch the gentoo 1.2 to add
29 rp-pppoe support then, but the process is much more natural with the
30 livecd...)
31
32 There is still much work to be done to make it near perfection... But my
33 point is simply to say it is worth it. I don't suppose any work will be done
34 towards coming back to the ramdisk old isos used, and, IMHO, it is better
35 this way.
36 >
37 > So what's the trade for my 2 Euro Cents? ;-)
40 Well, as you can guess I was thinking euro too...
43 Pierre-Henri Jondot <Pierre-Henri.Jondot@×××××××.fr>
44 Page perso : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/phj