From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 02:44:08
1 On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 02:24:40AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:16:30 -0600 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 01:51:25AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > | > ``Posted:``
6 > | > Date of posting, in ``dd-mmm-yyyy`` format (e.g. 14-Aug-2001).
7 > | > Mandatory.
8 > |
9 > | Don't have a good arguement as to why it should be added, but utc
10 > | time seems like it should be included.
11 >
12 > Ok. I nicked the Posting: header from GLEPs, which only use dates. Are
13 > posting times relevant for news items?
14
15 Only relevant if you get a sameday version bump for a news item, which
16 shouldn't occur, but stupid stuff does occur.
17
18 Like I said, don't have a good "you must do it cause of x" reason,
19 just a gut feeling it should be there.
22 > | > ``Display-If-Installed:``
23 > | > A dependency atom or simple package name (for example,
24 > | > ``<dev-lang/php-5_alpha`` or ``net-www/apache``). If the user
25 > | > has the package specified installed, the news item should be
26 > | > displayed.
27 > |
28 > | You're going to run into issues with slotmoves for longterm...
29 > |
30 > | I'd personally rather the translation/updating of the atoms specified
31 > | for this field does *not* occur in portage clientside, iow it's
32 > | handled server side.
33 >
34 > Would adding news/ to the "list of stuff that must be changed when you
35 > do a package move" suffice?
36
37 Manual labor == potential for screwup. :)
38
39 Should be automatic serverside im, just for the sake of older news
40 items still pointing to appropriate location of a package.
43 > | > News Item Display
44 > | > -----------------
45 > | >
46 > | > Whenever relevant unread news items are found, ``emerge`` will copy
47 > | > the news file into ``/var/lib/gentoo/news/``.
48 > |
49 > | Expand this to address N repo's all delivering their own news
50 > | please...
51 >
52 > If we have proper named repos... /var/lib/gentoo/news/repo_name/ ? What
53 > are the plans for multiple repositories exactly?
54
55 You'd have to clarify;
56 Repositories will be labeled by user configuration, but that's a bad
57 bit of data to use for /var/lib/gentoo/news/$REPO imo.
58
59 Some unique id/label bound with the repo maybe? and yes... bit of
60 overkill, but it's also useful for tracking where/which repo an ebuild
61 was installed from.
64 One thing this glep is missing, and needs to address is signing of the
65 news also. Detached sig probably is best route for the keep it
66 simple route you're going.
67
68 ~harring