From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 02:28:10
1 On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:16:30 -0600 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 01:51:25AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > ``Posted:``
5 | > Date of posting, in ``dd-mmm-yyyy`` format (e.g. 14-Aug-2001).
6 | > Mandatory.
7 |
8 | Don't have a good arguement as to why it should be added, but utc
9 | time seems like it should be included.
10
11 Ok. I nicked the Posting: header from GLEPs, which only use dates. Are
12 posting times relevant for news items?
13
14 | > ``Display-If-Installed:``
15 | > A dependency atom or simple package name (for example,
16 | > ``<dev-lang/php-5_alpha`` or ``net-www/apache``). If the user
17 | > has the package specified installed, the news item should be
18 | > displayed.
19 |
20 | You're going to run into issues with slotmoves for longterm...
21 |
22 | I'd personally rather the translation/updating of the atoms specified
23 | for this field does *not* occur in portage clientside, iow it's
24 | handled server side.
25
26 Would adding news/ to the "list of stuff that must be changed when you
27 do a package move" suffice?
28
29 | TODO: Display-If-Profile: ?
30 |
31 | I'd like to kill off the deprecated profile file someday...
32
33 Ok.
34
35 | > News Item Display
36 | > -----------------
37 | >
38 | > Whenever relevant unread news items are found, ``emerge`` will copy
39 | > the news file into ``/var/lib/gentoo/news/``.
40 |
41 | Expand this to address N repo's all delivering their own news
42 | please...
43
44 If we have proper named repos... /var/lib/gentoo/news/repo_name/ ? What
45 are the plans for multiple repositories exactly?
46
47 | Any reason this must be moved locally? Why not just track some id
48 | from the news article locally, instead of copying it?
49 |
50 | Yes this makes things a bit more funky for reading tools... but imo,
51 | the duplication is a bit wasteful. Not a huge issue, but worth
52 | considering imo.
53
54 I was aiming for "really really easy to write clients that read news",
55 and "really really easy to read news files using cat or less and rm".
58 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
59 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
60 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm