From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] POSIX shell and "portable"
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 08:06:59
1 On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 07:40:20 +0000
2 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 07:12 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > Except it won't, because ebuilds require bash regardless of which
5 > > package manager is being used. If you want to change that you'll
6 > > have to rewrite the entire tree.
7 >
8 > Az once said near enough the same thing about baselayout. And that's
9 > your view, your entitled to it, but it is not my view. Change a little
10 > bit here, a little bit there. Slowly does it.
11
12 It's not a view. It's a simple fact.
13
14 > Yes, I know that a fair chunk of the tree will need a re-write, just
15 > in the same way that the init scripts got a re-write. It will take
16 > time, it will not happen magically over night. To think overwise is
17 > foolish :)
18
19 How many lines of code are in baselayout? How many in the tree?
20
21 Pushing for non-bash for ebuilds is pointless. The cost of using bash is
22 tiny; the cost of not using bash is huge.
25 Ciaran McCreesh