From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] POSIX shell and "portable"
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 07:43:28
1 On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 07:12 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Except it won't, because ebuilds require bash regardless of which
3 > package manager is being used. If you want to change that you'll have to
4 > rewrite the entire tree.
5
6 Az once said near enough the same thing about baselayout. And that's
7 your view, your entitled to it, but it is not my view. Change a little
8 bit here, a little bit there. Slowly does it.
9
10 Yes, I know that a fair chunk of the tree will need a re-write, just in
11 the same way that the init scripts got a re-write. It will take time, it
12 will not happen magically over night. To think overwise is foolish :)
13
14 But if the default shell remains bash but the PM had enough knobs on it
15 so this could be changed (maybe per ebuild) in /etc then work *could*
16 start.
17
18 Thanks
19