From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: gentoo sync based unified deps proposal
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:50:05
1 On 17 September 2012 20:41, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:49:12 +0800
4 > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Or, even easier and more straightforward: just keep using *DEPEND. The
6 >> case hasn't been made yet why we need to change that in the first
7 >> place.
8 >
9 > We're looking at something like eight *DEPEND variables in EAPI 6, with
10 > considerable overlap between them all.
11
12 And like now, in the great majority of cases, only two or three will be used.
13 The enormous cost of moving to a different system (or the folly of using
14 two systems in parallel) is not worth the slight benefit of a more cosmetic
15 handling of the few cases where a few more *DEPEND variables would be
16 needed and/or there is some overlap to be dealt with.
19 Cheers,
20
21 Ben | yngwin
22 Gentoo developer
23 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin