From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 07:47:02
1 George Prowse posted
2 <36babadf0511181744y1b2f9e0bia4b9507d8e007244@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 below, on Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:44:31 +0000:
4
5 > Having organised several Gentoo UK meetings I would like to be advised if
6 > anyone has a problem; especially if they dont come or have no idea when,
7 > where or what they are.
8
9 Top posting lost the context. Anyway...
10
11 As I read the upline, the original point made had nothing to do about UK
12 meetings in particular, that was just an example.
13
14 The point made was that the purpose of this feature is to get out vital
15 "do this if you don't want your system broken when you upgrade" type news.
16 Folks that want announcements of meetings and that sort of thing can
17 subscribe to GWN -- that's what it's for. If this feature starts getting
18 used for that, then folks will start ignoring it, because the SNR is too
19 low to be of any use for the intended purpose.
20
21 Nothing against UK meetings, or /any/ meetings, for that matter. The
22 place to get that sort of news is GWN. GLEP 42 is, and should remain,
23 different, as proposed, and in both my opinion and that of the original
24 poster that had the misfortune of bringing up the UK meetings as what was
25 supposed to be an off-hand example, and apparently hitting a sore spot.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
31 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list