From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: Spider <spider@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:24:52
1 On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:06:12PM +0100 or thereabouts, Spider wrote:
2 > a) 4 / year , retention 1 year...
3 >
4 > can we start with 2/year (we lag behind as is, we're notoriously
5 > ungood with timetables. See 1.4 release before vouching anything ;) and
6 > a 2 year retention? 1 year retention still feels "hurried" for much
7 > enterprise use. Especially if you spend 4 months with forking and
8 > building on it, then have 8 months of use-work, then have to restart.
9 > (yep, reallife scenario)
10
11 I feel it is important to align these release procedures with the rest of
12 our release procedures. Since that is currently a quarterly release
13 schedule, I'd prefer to keep this quarterly as well.
14
15 > b) Updates and update distribution:
16 > Updates should be distributed -separately- . once the tree is frozen
17 > "stable" it remains so until the server goes down. updates to stable
18 > builds should have an alternate path of exposure. This is another
19 > requirement if any organization wish to track and work against a
20 > distribution.
21 >
22 > supplying it as :
23 > 2004-02-stable
24 > 2004-02-updates
25
26 I don't necessarily agree with this, but it's simple enough to provide a
27 "2004.1-stable.tbz2" snapshot that people can use to have a totally
28 unchanging tree. Then updates could continue to be distributed via the
29 rsync mirror tree.
30
31 --kurt