From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 23:39:41
1 begin quote
2 On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:17:06 -0500
3 Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > All --
6 >
7 > I've posted GLEP 19 which talks about the inclusion of a new 'stable'
8 > tree in portage that is updated on a periodic basis and only contains
9 > security and major bugfixes out of cycle.
10 >
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0019.html
12 >
13 > Please take a moment to review the GLEP and offer any feedback or ask
14 > any questions.
18 okay, here are some points:
19
20 a) 4 / year , retention 1 year...
21
22 can we start with 2/year (we lag behind as is, we're notoriously
23 ungood with timetables. See 1.4 release before vouching anything ;) and
24 a 2 year retention? 1 year retention still feels "hurried" for much
25 enterprise use. Especially if you spend 4 months with forking and
26 building on it, then have 8 months of use-work, then have to restart.
27 (yep, reallife scenario)
28
29 b) Updates and update distribution:
30 Updates should be distributed -separately- . once the tree is frozen
31 "stable" it remains so until the server goes down. updates to stable
32 builds should have an alternate path of exposure. This is another
33 requirement if any organization wish to track and work against a
34 distribution.
35
36 supplying it as :
37 2004-02-stable
38 2004-02-updates
39
40 and using a default overlay would be a viable solution in a case like
41 this, as long as the "stable" tree isn't changed.
44 //Spider
50 begin .signature
51 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
53 end