From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:11:47
1 On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 11:42:14AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 17 May 2006 10:23, Wernfried Haas wrote:
3 > > On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 10:16:32PM +0200, Wernfried Haas wrote:
4 > > > This is not only about adding a profile, but if paludis is officially
5 > > > supported by being in the tree and profiles, fixes for paludis get
6 > > > into the tree etc, this sounds like paludis is a Gentoo project and users
7 > > > will expect it to work and be supported. They will be allowed to ask
8 > > > questions about something not working with paludis on the forums,
9 > > > mailing lists, on irc etc without being off-topic.
10 > > > So far and with respect to other distributions (like e.g. Vida,
11 > > > Kororaa or whatever they were called) a rule of thumb was:
12 > > > A Gentoo system uses the official portage tree, was installed using
13 > > > the Gentoo installation guide using Gentoo stages, etc - and which was
14 > > > rather implicit - using portage as package manager. As far i
15 > > > understand it paludis differs from that in many ways.
16 > > > So before the package manager gets optional and we support something
17 > > > quite different we really should figure out what we consider a Gentoo
18 > > > installation.
19 >
20 > I see no difference between this and other external projects which have an
21 > impact on the tree, like say gcc. If a gentoo dev puts an alpha of gcc in and
22 > it's package masked and stuff, then I expect devs that put Paludis in the
23 > tree to provide a similar level of support.
24
25 So you consider a system using paludis instead of portage still a
26 generic Gentoo installation, which we as Gentoo support in all ways?
27 We may have a different understanding of the term "support" - in my
28 eyes that doesn't mean it's just not broken, but we also give users
29 support, allow them to ask questions and don't mark bugreports with
30 INVALID. This also includes forums, irc, lists, writing docs, etc.
31
32 So far we've been moving stuff out of the Gentoo forums to Off the
33 Wall if people were using fancy overlays of their Gentoo based
34 distribution or systems built with non official stages - so what do we
35 do with systems using another package manager than portage?
36
37 > > Does the lack of responses mean everyone agrees to my point? We really
38 > > should figure that stuff out before we start integrating an externally
39 > > written package manager we have no influence on whatsoever - otherwise
40 > > it would just be fair to do everything any other Gentoo based
41 > > distribution demands from us as well.
42 >
43 > Tell you what, you figure out the internals of baselayout or we'll remove it
44 > from the tree. I think a few Gentoo dev's know Paludis internals enough to
45 > support it.
46
47 So because a few developers know its internals we can and do support it (in
48 all ways as stated above)? That's exactly the issue i want to have
49 answered clearly, sorry if it was a misunderstanding before.
50
51 cheers,
52 Wernfried
55 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
56 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
57 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org