From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:36:09
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:06:12 -0800 Donnie Berkholz
3 > <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
4 > | Here's my proposal for dealing with modular X entering ~arch.
5 >
6 > What's wrong with the original idea of just making any unported ebuild
7 > pull in all of modular X (minus drivers)? Yes, it means that some
8 > people will pick up unnecessary deps until all packages are ported, but
9 > it avoids anyone having to see flashy red errors.
10
11 The problem with that is that it removes all motivation to ever port the
12 packages. They'll just stay that way forever, where forever means "until
13 I threaten to remove that from the virtual," in which case we'll be in
14 the same scenario we are now. Why? Because people have better things to
15 do than fix stuff that isn't broken.
16
17 Donnie