From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: profiles/arches.desc - improve repoman flexibility (with other benefits)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 02:11:36
1 On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 01:04:18PM -0700, Brian Dolbec wrote
2 >
3 > So with a general file name of arches.desc Is there any other data
4 > that we want to include in that file? Possibly migrated from other
5 > file(s). In that case a dictionary format yaml file might be best.
6 > My example below has additional info over what was proposed.
9 On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 10:29:17PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote
10 >
11 > Please don't. Any such sophisticated file formats don't play well with
12 > standard Unix tools like grep. Also the file will have have to be used
13 > by tools like app-emacs/ebuild-mode, and to my knowledge there exists
14 > no solid parser for yaml in elisp.
15 >
16 > A simple text file with one record per line has the advantage that it
17 > can be easily parsed in any language.
18
19 A compromise that addresses both concerns. How about a collection of
20 records in the format...
21
22 arch:attribute:data
23
24 Examples
25
26 amd64:stability: stable
27 amd64:bits: 64
28 amd64:description: Includes CPU manufaturers such as Intel, AMD, others...
29 amd64:comments: The most common/popular arch in the tree...
30 amd64:email: amd64@...
31
32 mips:stability: testing
33 mips:bits: 32
34 mips:description: Risc based achitecture ... (not fact checked)
35 mips:comments: Primarily used in some laptops and single board development systems...
36 mips:email: foo@...
37
38 m68k:stability: unstable
39 m68k:bits: 8
40 m68k:description: Motorola...
41 m68k:comments: embedded...
42 m68k:email: embedded@...
43
44 Hopefully, there's no need to go JSON format (bleagh). To simplify
45 parsing, fields for one arch should be clustered together.
48 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
49 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications