From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: profiles/arches.desc - improve repoman flexibility (with other benefits)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 20:29:54
1 >>>>> On Sun, 26 Mar 2017, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2
3 > I would much prefer for any new files to be created in a format that
4 > most languages have data input modules for and are easily read/edited
5 > by humans. While this can be read and split easily in python code. It
6 > is not future proof for additional data being added and/or removed.
7
8 > For the repoman stage3 rewrites. I am moving all configurable data
9 > from the code into yaml based files in /metadata/repoman. These files
10 > will be easily edited by all developers for updates to banned eclasses
11 > and various other values not needing code changes.
12
13 > So with a general file name of arches.desc Is there any other data
14 > that we want to include in that file? Possibly migrated from other
15 > file(s). In that case a dictionary format yaml file might be best.
16 > My example below has additional info over what was proposed.
17 > It is an example only to show the possible benefit of such a file type.
18
19 Please don't. Any such sophisticated file formats don't play well with
20 standard Unix tools like grep. Also the file will have have to be used
21 by tools like app-emacs/ebuild-mode, and to my knowledge there exists
22 no solid parser for yaml in elisp.
23
24 A simple text file with one record per line has the advantage that it
25 can be easily parsed in any language.
26
27 Ulrich