From: solar <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:28:34
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 10:58 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 10:29 -0500, solar wrote:
3 > > > Now, on the topic of the tarballs.
4 > > >
5 > > > Give me one example of something that you can do with a stage1 or stage2
6 > > > tarball that you cannot with a stage3 tarball.
7 > >
8 > > Stage1: Changing CHOST= and run ./bootstrap.sh
9 > > (well you can do it but it's dumb)
10 >
11 > Right. You can do it.
12 >
13 > > Stage3: has full cxx/berkdb/ssl/pam/libwrap and all the cruft pulled in
14 > > from having use flags enabled thats not easy to get rid of otherwise.
15 >
16 > You can accomplish this, too. Maybe we could even use that nice little
17 > "scripts" directory in the portage tree to write a script to assist in
18 > performing this. I'm sure it would be less error-prone than what we
19 > have now with the broken QA procedures allowing things to go into
20 > system, or system-depended packages, that pulls in all kinds of useless
21 > crap.
22 >
23 > > I don't care what you do with the docs, but the stages 1, 3 need to
24 > > stay. stage2 has always been a bonus stage more or less added into the
25 > > mix cuz it's a byproduct of stage building (pre catalyst days).
26 >
27 > Removing the stage1 and stage2 instructions from the Handbook has
28 > already reduced the number of errors being reported by new users to me.
29
30 While I'm glad your getting less bugs/errors reported, I'm a little
31 sad that you had stage1 install instructions removed.
32 Starting from stage1 is the basic hardened way. Most of our users
33 (which seem to be 10% of the userbase) start from that stage due to
34 hardened only shipping it's stages as i386-pc-linux-gnu and honestly
35 most users are i686-pc-linux-gnu so they end up changing this.
36 We ship as i386 to ensure all x86 compatibility.
37
38 I hope that you can arrange for either the stage1 install instructions
39 to be put back in or split off into it's own stage1.xml doc.
43 solar <solar@g.o>
44 Gentoo Linux
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list