From: Joshua Pollak <josh@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] IssueTracker Requirements
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:39:39
1 Ok,
2
3 Here is a list of issuetracker requirements, as I remember them. They are not
4 sorted in any particular order of importance, although things I think
5 everyone can agree are 'nice things to have but not show stoppers' are lower
6 down the list:
7
8 email interface
9 easy to use web interface
10 clean, modifiable code base
11 multiple package support
12 easy for newbies
13 - quick to add bugs (most important)
14 - search, find duplicates (almost as important)
15 - update status and communicate with developers
16 powerful for developers
17 irc interface bot
18 implemented in a real language (not PHP, etc)
19 desktop user interface (GUI?, command-line?)
20
21 Current candidates, with implementation language, and URL:
22 Because I can't resist, I've included one line for both upside and downside
23 to each package, as I see it.
24
25 * Roundup
26 - Python
27 - http://roundup.sf.net
28 - Plus: Email interface, passable web interface, command-line interface
29 - Unfamiliar to many of us.
30
31 * Bugzilla
32 - ???
33 - http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bugzilla/
34 - Plus side: Monster program with basically every feature imaginable
35 - Downs: large, large learning curve.
36
37 * PEST
38 - PHP
39 - http://unrecoverable.org
40 - Plus side: cute Web interface, DB storage (good for other interfaces)
41 - Downside: PHP, no mail interface
42
43 * Debian BTS
44 - "most of the code is written in Perl5"
45 - http://www.benham.net/debbugs/
46 - Plus: "now has a fairly rich feature set", everything via email
47 - Down: "system has grown fairly organically", kludgy web interface
48 (quotes are from Debian BTS website)
49
50 * GNATS
51 - everything
52 - http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/
53 - Plus: Official GNU software
54 - Downs: Web, TK, etc interfaces are seperate, install looks like a pain
55
56 * Improve current dev-wiki
57 - ???
58 - I must be blind, because I can no longer see the link to the wiki.
59 - Gentoo specific project, we decide how it should be done
60 - Gentoo specific project, lots of work, risk wasting time repeating other
61 peoples work.