From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:46:55
1 On 08/10/2012 09:43 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > vdr is a first example which comes to my mind. They workaround program
3 > configuration limitations and the init.d scripts become a complex
4 > extra-configuration parser + plugin loader. Well, another thing here is
5 > that upstream AFAIK is not willing to cooperate to fix their config
6 > parsing.
7 >
8 > 'oldnet' is an another example. I'm not saying it should go; I'm saying
9 > it should be a stand-alone executable called from the init.d script.
10 >
11 > Last time I looked, squid init.d was performing post-inst in start().
12 > Many users may find that beneficial but that's not what init.d scripts
13 > should be doing.
14
15 This discussion is really derailing.
16
17 Currently most people using certain features from openrc feel quite
18 defensive and mildly uneasy with the current situation since systemd is
19 pretty much swallowing components we used to rely on and force radical
20 changes w/out providing explanations to people that do not care and that
21 are perfectly happy with what they have.
22
23 Now Canek seems to feel like that I'm willing to kill systemd and make
24 it impossible to use it in Gentoo.
25
26 That's not the case, I consider systemd a bad idea since it is only
27 geared to solve some specific issues and does that in a way that I
28 consider dangerous for the global usage patterns I'm aware of.
29
30 systemd ideas are interesting and for a dumb linux desktop the
31 implementation would be ok.
32
33 systemd doesn't work in many scenarios and when it gets pointed
34 apparently there is a disagreement on that because "systemd is perfect"
35 like it happens with it gets pointed that pulseaudio has shortcomings
36 (that come from its design) or avahi doesn't seem that stable.
37
38 I can live with a seldom broken audio subsystem and I can cope with the
39 fact pidgin-bonjour could randomly crash, I'm not happy to be forced to
40 move to something with the same attitude as my init system.
41
42 The whole point of the debate should be if easier to have systemd split
43 itself in usable components so people with certain focuses could
44 leverage it on linux and replace those on non-linux (apparently not a
45 chance) or have what we currently have and works decently and hopefully
46 be compatible (so have a compatible interface for user-daemons, a
47 compatible dbus interface for the desktop integrations and so on), not
48 which project we should help to kill the others.
51 lu