From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:23:23
1 On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
2 > The whole point of the debate should be if easier to have systemd split
3 > itself in usable components so people with certain focuses could
4 > leverage it on linux and replace those on non-linux (apparently not a
5 > chance) or have what we currently have and works decently and hopefully
6 > be compatible (so have a compatible interface for user-daemons, a
7 > compatible dbus interface for the desktop integrations and so on), not
8 > which project we should help to kill the others.
9
10 I understand where you're coming from, but keep in mind that upstream
11 the debate is more along the lines of what else to integrate, not what
12 to split apart. There is also little interest in supporting non-linux
13 systems with systemd - I don't think anybody working on it uses
14 anything but linux, and I think one of their goals is to not be held
15 back by features not available elsewhere. That might make it more of
16 a niche solution, but it is a niche that probably includes almost all
17 of the boxes running a typical linux distro (servers, desktops, etc -
18 not toasters, phones, DVRs, etc). Things like Prefix or FreeBSD are a
19 very low in market share.
20
21 In any case, this list is really the wrong place for such a debate,
22 since nobody who has any power to change anything is listening. The
23 success/failure of systemd will have almost nothing to do with how
24 Gentoo adopts it, it is already moderately well-supported on Gentoo as
25 a non-default, and while there are concerns about how udev/etc is
26 packaged and where a few things are installing their files, for the
27 most part nothing is broken. Some purists are concerned that whatever
28 rc system they're not using is sticking files on their system that
29 don't do anything, and that they can't control this, and that seems to
30 be a fault with all of the options, and most of the packages in the
31 tree that install init scripts.
32
33 There is also quite a bit of people calling each other's babies ugly,
34 which isn't terribly productive or helpful for the community.
35
36 Rich